By Bill Burns
P. O. Box 1148
Kremmling, Colorado 80459
The church finds herself in a time of testing, in which God is giving us many opportunities to overcome the flesh, the draw of the world and the devil. This time of testing has been scheduled by the Lord to purge His church so that He can bring His people into the fullness of the Holy Spirit. It is the Masters desire to bring His washed Bride into a fuller measure of the Holy Spirit for such a time as this.
His purpose is to prepare His blood-bought church for a great victory over Satans kingdom. King Jesus wants to lead His people into their inheritance whereby they have victory over all of the works of the enemy. Satan desires to rule over the church and thereby keep them from receiving the blessings and promises of God.
This morning the Lord said, Do not give up, My people, for victory is on the horizon. Even now you are overcoming the works of the flesh. Even now you are overcoming the world as you separate yourselves from its pull.
Now watch for the works of the enemy, for he is yet hidden. I am speaking to you of the rulers of darkness that will now try to influence your thinking and rule over your actions. His purpose is to keep you from the Promised Land or your position of inheritance.
These are the five kings that tried to keep Joshua and Israel from their inheritance. These are hidden kings of great power. Study and learn so that you are not overcome by them.
The story of Joshua and the five kings is found in Joshua chapter 10. The five kings formed an alliance against Gods people after they heard how Joshua had taken Ai (verse 1). Israels army was defeated at Ai the first time because of Achans sin. Achans name means trouble, and his sin represented giving in to the flesh and the world. (See Joshua chapter 7.) Achan (flesh) was put to death, and then Israel went back and took Ai.
Joshua then attacked these five kings at Gibeon. The names of the five kings are given in Joshua 10:3 Therefore Adoni-Zedek king of Jerusalem sent to Hoham king of Hebron, Piram king of Jarmuth, Japhia king of Lachish, and Debir king of Eglon.
When Joshua attacked them they hid themselves in a cave in Joshua 10:16 But these five kings had fled and hidden themselves in a cave at Makkedah.
Makkedah means place of shepherds. These five kings (rulers) desire to establish a place of rule over Gods people. Their desire is to become the shepherds over the Lords flock through their spiritual influence over Gods people. They desire to replace the spiritual influence of our Shepherd, Jesus Christ, and this is how they plan to do it:
Makkedah is used in the sense of herding, meaning to drive by force to a designated place. So these kings intend to control and move Gods people by force and spiritual pressure to a place away from the true Shepherd where they can be slaughtered.
- Adoni-zedek, king of Jerusalem his name means my lord is righteous. A Lord is one who rules or is master over, so he wants to rule over our position of righteousness. He is king of Jerusalem which means possession of peace or teaching of peace. Jesus has taught us to live in peace, to maintain a position of peace. If we lose our peace we are not trusting in the Lord, and we cant operate in faith. This king is after our peace and will try to instill worry and fear. Do not allow your circumstances (places of testing) steal your peace. Trust in the Lord. Be anxious for nothing.
- Hoham, king of Hebron his name means whom Jehovah impels. As a god over his people Hoham impels (drives by exertion of strong moral pressure). In other words, he will drive people into religious performance to perfect themselves. The result will be legalism. This driving force will pressure people to try to make themselves better by behavior modification rather than resting in and leaning on Gods Spirit by which they can overcome the works of the flesh. This will result in a person having a spirit of religion rather than walking in the Spirit of God. Hebron means association. This spirit will try to bring you into relationships with religious people who are legalistic. Set a watch!
- Piram, king of Jarmuth his name means like a wild ass, which represents stubbornness that refuses to be associated with any body of believers. This spirit wants to make you wild or unbridled and keep you from the place God would have you to be. Jarmuth means heights, which represents pride that will keep you from your place of destiny because you dont want to submit to anyone else. Dont allow this spirit to keep you isolated.
- Japhia, king of Lachish his name means shining or show thyself. This spirit will try to get you to shine the light on yourself, call attention to yourself, demand your rights. This spirit will cause you to take Gods glory for yourself. You will want to be the light rather than leading others into the light of Jesus Christ. This spirit will influence you so that you take the credit for yourself. Lachish means invincible. This spirit will cause you to think that God cant do anything without you. You will view yourself as irreplaceable. This attitude will come because you have become the light instead of letting Jesus be the Light. You will view yourself as invincible against Satans force, but you will fall. Humble thyself to show thyself approved. Let Jesus be the Lord; lift Him up so that men will be drawn to Him and not yourself.
- Debir, king of Eglon his name means speaker and sanctuary. This spirit will try to get you to speak against those in the sanctuary against the household of God. His desire is to cause you to become the voice of the accuser of the brethren. Eglon means a bullock or bull-like and represents one who attacks others through the use of words of criticism, accusation, and lies. This spirit will try to get you to trample others under foot and destroy their reputation. Dont be bull-headed! Listen to what the Spirit says.
These are the five kings that will try to rule over the house of God. If we give into any one of these influences we may disqualify ourselves from the great blessing that is before us.
This is what Joshua did to gain the victory over these five kings:
Joshua 10:18 So Joshua said, "Roll large stones against the mouth of the cave, and set men by it to guard them.
Bind these powers and seal them up so they will not influence your attitudes and actions. Set a guard so they dont break out against you and take you captive.
Josh 10:24 So it was, when they brought out those kings to Joshua, that Joshua called for all the men of Israel, and said to the captains of the men of war who went with him, "Come near, put your feet on the necks of these kings." And they drew near and put their feet on their necks.
Put your feet on the necks of these kings. Take authority over them and put them under your feet.
Romans 16:20 And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly.
Joshua 10:25-26 Then Joshua said to them, "Do not be afraid, nor be dismayed; be strong and of good courage, for thus the LORD will do to all your enemies against whom you fight." And afterward Joshua struck them and killed them, and hanged them on five trees; and they were hanging on the trees until evening.
Do not fear these spirits, but use the sword, the Word of God, to strike them and slay them.
Ephesians 6:17-18 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints.
Read Luke chapter 4 and see how Jesus defeated Satan!
The Lord said, Victory is on the horizon. He is the Lord of the Breakthrough, and He is Lord over these five kings, and they will bow before His majesty.
1 Timothy 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord will deliver me from every evil work and preserve me for His heavenly kingdom. To Him be glory forever and ever. Amen!
2 Corinthians 2:14 Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place.
2 Thessalonians 3:3 But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you and guard you from the evil one.